B. Com (Hons) is a Bachelor Degree course of 3 years duration. It is one of the most popular graduation programmes among Commerce stream students which focuses on core subjects such as Accounting, Insurance, Taxation, Financial Management, Economics, etc. Candidates can opt for a combination of subjects apart from the core subjects for building a career in all the Industries &Government PSU’s.
The program aims to give rise to competent business acumen through advanced training on subjects such as Accounting, Taxation, Business Research, Financial Management and Cost Accountancy. The curriculum involves intensive study, culminating into contemporary research-based dissertation and practical projects.
To avail senior roles and better salary packages in the market, students of B.Com (Hons) opt for CA, MBA, ICWA,CFA, ACCA, CPA, CS etc. after completing their course.
This blog will highlight several key facets of B.Com (Hons) that will help you to understand the B. Com (Hons) curriculum, job prospects and future scope.
What is B. Com (Hons)?
It is a 3 year programme in India which deals with the aspects and foundation of Commerce, Economics, Accountancy &Trade principles which are important for any corporation or new venture to flourish,grow and profit.
To stimulate expertise in a particular area of business & commerce, the program is designed to rendercandidates with a wide range of managerial, financial and analytical skills.
Unlike technical and vocational courses, B. Com (Hons) is offered in majority of Prestigious Universities across India. B. Com (Hons) is business-oriented and an in-depth course that helps to make career as Chartered Accountant (CA), Company Secretary (CS), CFA, Cost & Work Accounting (ICWA) etc. Hence, most of the commerce aspirants try to pursue B. Com (Hons) programme as it helps to prepare them for exams such as CA, CS, ICWA, CFA, CPA and other such competitive certifications.
What is the difference between B. Com and B. Com (Hons)?
Why is B. Com (Hons) Better than B. Com?
B. Com (Hons) is an undergraduate-level course covering in depth the key aspects of commerce, trade, accounting, taxation, economics etc.It offers specialization in the last year in one of the main subjects of commerce, like Accounting, Marketing, Human Resources, Information Technology etc.
B. Com is a standard bachelor’s degree. It covers several commerce-related aspects like accounting, finance and taxation. You cannot specialize in any particular field while studying B. Com.
The Score obtained in 10+2 grade. The admission cut off set for the B. Com (Hons) course is higher than the B. Com course.
The Score obtained in 10+2 grade. The admission cut off set for B. Com course is lower than the B. Com (Hons) degree.
Why is B. Com (Hons) Better than B. Com?
Both B. Com (Hons) and B.Com and are the courses from the same academic stream. The only major difference lies indeeper knowledge-oriented course curriculum, skill enhancement techniques and better job opportunities. Here the B. Com (Hons) scores high and the corporate prefers them.
Moreover, the industrydemand for the B. Com (Hons) professionals over normal B. Com students is much as the B. Com (Hons) graduates tend to be better trained & more skilful.So, commerce enthusiasts, wisely pick theright blend of education degree to brighten their future.
Eligibility Criteria of B. Com in India
The admission eligibility criteria differ across various colleges or universities. And the standard eligibility criteria during the screening of candidates for final selection for B. Com & B. Com (Hons) programmes are:
The basic eligibility criteria for B. Com course in India:
- There is no specific subject areaneeded forthis programme. But candidates who have completed the 12th stream with Maths, Business Studies, Accountancy, or Economics as an optional discipline and English as a key subject might get preference over other students.
- One should have finished an intermediary level of education from a recognised national or state board.
- The minimum cut off marks criteria varies from college to college but should not count below 50%
- Depending upon colleges or universities, a student might as well qualify in national/state or university level entrance examinations.
The basic eligibility criteria for B. Com (Hons) in India:
- The percentage aggregate may vary in various institutes. But, a minimum of 50% or equivalent in score in 10+2 grade with core Commerce subjects including Maths, Accountancy, and Business Studies.
- Candidates must have completed 12th from a recognized board.
- Required entrance level examination should be given by the candidates.
What is Admission Process for B. Com (Hons)?
Candidates should ensure they qualify in the course eligibility criteria with the minimum required score in 12th grade.
- Admission can be conducted both entrance examination marks and merit-based.
- A few institutionsoffer direct admission to the program as well.
- Candidates should have a valid scorecardof their previous educational qualification.
- Candidates are suggested to keeptrack of the entrance exam announcements at various universities or colleges & apply for the test accordingly.
- Later, the candidates are requested to fillin thesignificantinformation to complete the documentation process.
B. Com (Hons) Entrance Exams in India
Following are the topmost common entrance exams for B. Com (Hons) in India:
- BHU UET
- IPU CET and other university or institute-based entrance tests.
What is B. Com (Hons) Curriculum & Syllabus?
Take a look at the B. Com course key subjects and a few elective subjects from the list mentioned below.
*Note- Subjects and syllabus pattern may differ in different colleges and universities.
What is B. Com (Hons) Course Fee & Duration in India?
The average B. Com (Hons) course fees vary depending on the affiliation & accreditations, awards & recognition, infrastructure, education facilities and placement support of the colleges or universities. But mostly it starts with INR 50,000 per annum.
Talking about the B. Com (Hons) course duration, it comprises of 6 semesters of six months each which works around 3 years.
B. Com. (Hons) Career Options and Job Prospects in India
Commerce has always been a career-oriented field. Moreover, when it comes to B.Com (Hons) course it offers different values in the market. It offers a wider scope over other graduation level commerce degree program. Candidates can apply for lots of opportunities in diverse domain in reputed Companies, Consultancies, MNCs and others. There, they can be assigned with daily responsibilitiessuch asManager- Finance, Accountancy, Business Management, Accountancy, Taxation, Cost Accounting, Operations, Project Management etc.
Students are proficiently trained in Basic Principles of Accountancy, Cost Accounting, Management Accounting, Managerial Skills, Economic theory, Money and Banking system and many more in related areas. B. Com (Hons) provide these well-versed graduate professionals with a rich experience that helps them to choose their career wisely & apply for highly acclaimed top-notch career options, both in India and abroad.
Below are some of the advanced career options that can be pursued after completing B. Com (Hons) degree:
- Tax Consultants
- Chartered Accountant (CA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Cost and Work Accountant (CWA)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Company Secretary (CS)
- Financial Consultant
- Business Advisor
- Bank Manager
- Stock Broker
Why Study B. Com (Hons)?
- To sustain in the knowledge-based and innovative technological world, B. Com (Hons) is one of the most ideal course one can pursue. During this course, one can learn the importance of managing an organization, understand theframework of the financial policies & gain in-depth learning about national & international accounting, tax laws and regulations.
- Majority of the Universities includesthe curriculum of highly acclaimed CA, CS or CFA course which makes it easier for the students to prepare well.
- B. Com (Hons) course gives exposure to aspirants to work on practical situations which deal with accounting, mergers & acquisitions, managing funds, taxation,trade, complex financial challenges and outline solutions to garner profit for the organization.
- Thisprofessional course gives suitable opportunities to become an Accountant, Tax Specialist, Investment Banker, Financial Consultant and other similar roles.
- B. Com (Hons) degree is valued in CA, CS, CFA, CFP, CMA and CWA.
- Huge opportunities in terms of career prospects.
- The scope is also vast as mostof the reputed multinational companies look for advancedcommerce skills within the candidate.
B. Com (Hons) Course Preparation Tips
Before picking up the final undergraduate course for enrolment one should glance through the course syllabus thoroughly. Followed by complete research, the candidate should equally pay attention to the listof the entrance exams that oneis planning to appear for.
To secure a good score in B. Com (Hons) common entrance tests one should follow these simple yet important tips & tricks:
Know the exam pattern, syllabus and important sections involved before start preparing for the exam:
- General English
- General Knowledge
- Commerce Subjects (10+2 level)
- Quantitative Mathematics
- Data Interpretation, etc.
- Get a strong understanding of common commerce subjects to prepare yourself well for the exam.
- Make a schedule and follow it strictly.
- For General Knowledge & Current Affairsdevelop a habit of reading newspapers dailyto stay updated with current trends in trade, finance and economics.
- Improve your General English Language Proficiency by reading and practising multiple exercises from the Grammar and vocabulary books that are available in the market.
- Read books on Business Management, Economics, Accountancy by prominent authors or the NCERT books.
- Take multiple mock tests on the recent sample papers&questions papers.
How to Find Top B. Com. (Hons) College in India?
Make sure you select a college or university that will assist you with all the necessary facilities like reputation, well-equipped infrastructure, learning resources, certification modules, brilliant faculty team, best placement assistance etc.
B. Com (Hons): Top Companies & Recruiters in India
Besides, Private sector enterprises, B. Com (Hons) graduates can take up vacancies in the Government sector PSU’s. One can apply for jobs in demanding sectors like:
- Accounting& Auditing firms
- National & Multinational Banks
- Insurance companies
- Business Management & Consultants
Listing below the Top Recruiting Companies in India hiring B. Com (Hons) professionals:
- Tata Consultancy Services Limited
- J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
- HDFC Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- American Express Co.
- Punjab National Bank
- ICICI Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Government PSU’s-NTPC, ONGC, BHEL, NHPC etc.
The B. Com (Hons) course at Faculty of Commerce & Business Management, Amrapali Group of Institutes is well- thought integration of thought provoking classes, live business case studies, projects, personalized mentoring and several other training pedagogies to transform and prepare students to excel in the corporate world.
Faculty of Commerce & Business Management (FCBM), AGI follows a rich blend of academic and corporate exposure that trains commerce professionals to be job-ready in the competitive world. Programmes offered by FCBM, AGI are approved by UGC, AICTE and affiliated to Kumaun University-Nainital &Uttarakhand Technical University-Dehradun.
The student mentoring process adopted by the mentors helps in the development of the aspirant’s strengths intheir areas of interest which stimulates the overall adeptness score of the budding professional. The Training & Placement activities at FCBM, AGI ensures the best corporate interface for its learners. Regular exposure to live projects, internships and placement in the leading companies are taken care every year.
Hope you enrol in the best institute to add a positive dimension to your life take a and distinctive edge over the others.
To know more about the course, visit https://www.amrapali.ac.in/