Interpreting technology hype
Article contributed by Dr. Suresh Wariyal, Assistant Professor Faculty of Technology and Computer Applications.
When some new concept of technologies makes courageous promises, how do we determine the hype from what’s commercially feasible? Furthermore when will such claims compensate, if at all?
The Hype Cycles of Gartner show a visual scenario of the maturity and acceptance of all the technologies and related applications, and their relevance for solve real time business issues and take advantage of new opportunities. The Hype Cycle tactic of Gartner provides us a clear picture of technological revolution evolves over time, by providing a great source of insight for managing the exploitation inside the perspective of our exact goals of business.
Uses of Hype Cycles
The purpose of using Hype Cycle of Gartner is to give vast information of new and emerging concept and technology to the Clients that are concern with variety of industry and individual desire for risk assessment.
The question arises that should we make an early move? And if we are keen to unite risk-taking with some kind of understanding because the investments under the risk don’t always pay off, you could obtain the rewards of early acceptance.
Is the Hype Cycle approach is quite appropriate? The Executives of industry that belongs to moderate understanding to the discussion for an early level of investment as well as will also concern with analysis of cost and benefit as soon as latest behavior of doing things are not so far completely demonstrated.
Now should we also consider some supplementary maturation? In the response of supplementary maturation if there are number of unexplored queries in the region of the business viability of an up-and-coming technology, so it well again to wait in anticipation of others have been able to deliver substantial value.
Working of Hype Cycles
There are basically five categories of Hype Cycle of a technology’s life cycle.
- Innovation Trigger: The initial of any technology comes under the innovation trigger known as potential technology breakthrough. The initial concept focus on theories, stories, and media interest trigger significant publicity. Initially the product is unavailable as well as commercial feasibility is not proven.
- Peak of Inflated Expectations: Now it times to get more and more publicity and fame as well as hundreds of success stories creates with seldom failure. In this concern some of the organizations take supportive action but some organizations do not make much more concern.
- Trough of Disillusionment: As the time passes the interest on the technology become decrease as experiments as well as the failure of implementations in regard to deliver the product. So the Producers of the tools and technology fail at some point in time. The routine Investment is very much required if the surviving providers of the technology enhance their products in such a level that can be acceptable by the existing adopters.
- Slope of Enlightenment: Now the slope of enlightenment phase shows the clarification and technological benefits to the organization start to crystallize and become more and more understandable. From the side of technology provider, second- and third-generation products appear.
- Plateau of Productivity: Plateau shows the area of stability or area with some little variation in concerning technology. Conventional acceptance initiates to take off. Now in this phase the criteria for assessing provider feasibility are more evidently defined. The technology’s extensive market applicability and significance are evidently paying off.
Hype Cycles assist us:
- It separate hype from the real drivers of a technology’s commercial promise
- It decrease the investment assessment in regard to risk of our technology
- It Increases our understanding of a technology’s commercial value in comparison with the objective of experienced IT analysts.
Gartner Hype Cycle 2019
The 2019 Hype Cycle places of interest the up-and-coming technologies with considerable impact on commercial organization, people and society in excess of the next five to 10 years. 2019 comprises technologies that guarantee to bring a worldwide low-latency internet, create a map of the actual world and imitate human creativity.
“The 2019 Hype Cycle highlights the emerging technologies with significant impact on business, society and people over the next five to 10 years,” says Brian Burke, Research Vice President, Gartner. “Technology innovation is the key to competitive differentiation and is transforming many industries.”
There are number of advance technologies fall into some key trends: AI Cloud Services, AutoML, Augmented intelligence, Explainable AI, AI Marketplace etc.
Details Of What’s New In Gartner’s Hype Cycle For AI, 2019
Now we can have comparison of Hype Cycle 2019 with Hype Cycle 2018